Donnerstag, 9. April 2009

Opinion Piece

Casual Sex: the relationship of the 21st century?

Casual Sex, frequent sex with a buddy without having a relationship, seems to become increasingly popular. You can read about it in magazines for girls which explain how you are supposed to go about it. There are thousands of articles on the web telling you where you can find your fuck-buddy and even Sex and the City-girl Carrie has casual sex. But what about regular Joe? Are we really ready for casual sex yet?

If I had a fuck-buddy and told other people about it, would they be very happy for me and hope for me to have fun or would they be skeptical? Let’s just assume they would not be very happy, because when I mentioned that I will just write about this topic, some people already turned up their noses. But why? Sometimes the opinions I hear are so conservative that I get the feeling that I’m stuck in the 19th century where girls were supposed to be the angels of the house.

However, if a guy has casual sex, then that is totally normal, because a guy is really cool if he has lots of sex outside of a relationship. If a girl has lots of sex, she is a whore. I am not much of a feminist; I really like it when a guy opens the door for me and I think that it is the guy’s task to repair the car. But when it comes to sex, I insist on some equality and freedom to do whatever I want. Moreover, what strikes me most is that often girls are the ones that criticize those who have casual sex; the guys usually think it’s grand that the girls are finally as open-minded as themselves.

Casual sex is one of the best inventions ever. It’s more than a one-night stand because you actually know the person you are having sex with and you don’t have all that relationship-baggage. That means you are leaving out all the heart-brokenness and just have the fun part! Of course, it is not something you want to have for the rest of your life, but it seems to be a good way to pass the time while you are waiting for prince charming. And casual sex does have advantages over one-night stands: there are no lies to get somebody into bed because it is clear that it’s only about sex and endless flirting is not necessary.

Some might ask if it is even possible to regularly have sex with somebody without having feelings for that person. I am convinced that it is, because sometimes you meet a person and although you find him very attractive, you know that you would never be able to have a relationship with him. So, why not ask him to become your fuck-buddy? That way you can still have him, but you can avoid the endless quarrels about emotions and hurt feelings.

I think that we should all wake up and realize that we are in the 21st century where the sexual revolution has already taken place. For those who don’t want to wait for their prince charming in the boring way, a fuck-buddy is the right choice. Just don’t forget the condoms!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen